Frankly asking, how old is your website content? When was it last updated? Ohh! You must be daydreaming if you think there is no need to update your website content and still expect a high SEO ranking.
Here’s something to mark! Google’s ranking works on a predefined algorithm that updates with time. Based on each updated algorithm, your website should qualify to rank higher on search engines.
To improve the organic traffic on your website, new entrepreneurs and influencers keep updating their content to get attention from their target audience. And the competition gets more challenging for you if you fail to refuel your website with new trending content.
Not only this but there are numerous reasons feeding your WHYs to update the old content. Want to dig deeper? Let’s go!
What Do We Mean by Updating Old Content?
Old content updation refers to the process of updating or revising the content on your website that is no longer current or relevant. This could include updating the information on your website to reflect new developments in your industry, changing the design or layout of your website, or removing outdated or irrelevant content.
If you want to update a website’s content, you can access the website’s content management system (CMS) and make the necessary changes. The specific steps for updating the content will depend on the CMS being used and the website’s structure.
It is generally a good idea to regularly review and update the content on your website to ensure that it remains accurate and relevant. This can help improve the user experience for visitors to your site and help with search engine optimization (SEO). If you are still getting familiar with updating the content on your website, consider seeking the assistance of a web developer or someone with experience in managing website content.
Why Do We Need To Update Old / Outdated Content?
It is essential to update the content on your website for several reasons regularly:
- To Improve SEO Ranking: Yes, that’s correct. Search engines like Google prefer websites that regularly update their content, as it shows that the site is actively maintained and relevant. Adding fresh, high-quality content to your website allows you to incorporate new keywords and phrases your target audience may be searching for. This can help improve your search engine rankings and drive traffic to your site. Apart from this new content being useful and valuable, other websites may link to it. You can demonstrate your expertise in your field and establish your website as a reliable source of information. Which can help improve your search engine rankings.
- To Build More Engagement: If your website visitors see that you are regularly updating your content, they are more likely to return to your site to see what’s new. This can help increase traffic to your website. Many giant websites have entirely understood this psychology; hence, they rush to new content generation as per the taste of their target audience.
Here are a few key points explaining how updating your content keeps your website visitors engaged. Check’m out-
- New content gives your visitors a reason to return. If your website visitors know that you regularly add new content, they will likely come back to your site to see what’s new. This can help increase traffic to your website.
- Updating your content shows that you are active and engaged. If your website needs to be updated or has been outdated for a very long, your visitors may not trust the information on your site. By regularly updating your content, you can demonstrate that you are actively maintaining your website and that the information on your site is current and accurate.
- Demonstrate your expertise. Regularly updating your content shows that you are keeping up with the latest developments in your field. This can help establish you as an authority in your industry. If your website looks abandoned or outdated, your visitors may not trust the information on your site. Regularly updating your content demonstrates that you are actively engaged and committed to maintaining your website.
Overall, regularly updating the content on your website is essential for maintaining the engagement of your website visitors and ensuring that they continue to visit your site.
How To Update Old Content of a Website?
Here are 6 steps you can follow to update old content on your website-
Identify the Old Content: The first step in updating old content is identifying which pages on your website need to be updated. You can use a content audit or SEO tool to identify outdated pages or those not performing well in search engine rankings.
Determine the Purpose: Once you have identified the old content on your website, it’s important to determine the purpose of each page. Is the content meant to inform, educate, or entertain? Knowing the purpose of each page will help you decide how to update it.
Make a Plan: Before you start updating the old content on your website, it’s a good idea to make a plan. This should include a list of the pages that need to be updated, who is responsible for updating each page, and when the updates are due.
Update the Content: Once you have a plan in place, it’s time to start updating the old content on your website. This could involve revising the text, adding new images or videos, updating the design or layout, or removing outdated or irrelevant information.
Review and Test: After you have updated the old content on your website, it’s important to review and test it to ensure that everything is working. This includes checking for spelling and grammar errors, testing links and forms, and checking that the content is displayed correctly on different devices.
Publish the Updates: Once you have reviewed and tested the updated content, you can publish it to your website. Be sure to promote the updates to your audience through social media or email marketing.
Tools To Help You Revamp Old Website Content
Several tools can help update old content on your website:
Content Management System (CMS): A CMS is a software application that allows you to easily create, edit, and publish content on your website. Some popular CMS options include WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
SEO Tools: SEO tools can help you identify old content on your website that is not performing well in terms of search engine rankings and suggest ways to update it to improve its visibility. Some popular SEO tools include Ahrefs, SEMrush, and Moz.
Content Audit Tool: A content audit tool can help you identify old website content that may be outdated, irrelevant, or duplicative. Some popular content audit tools include Screaming Frog and DeepCrawl.
Project Management Software: It can help you track which old content needs to be updated, who is responsible for updating it, and when it is due. Some popular project management tools include Asana, Trello, and Basecamp.
Plagiarism checker: A plagiarism checker can help you identify old content on your website that may be copied from other sources and suggest ways to rewrite or update it to avoid any issues with plagiarism. Some popular plagiarism checkers include Copyscape and Plagiarism Checker X.
What’s The Bottom Line?
Now that you have understood the need to update old content, do not delay revamping your content based on the latest algorithm of your respective browsers to attract more audience and lead to more conversions.